Sunday, June 12, 2011

CONFIRMATION SUNDAY 2011


Nicole Elizabeth, daughter of Ron and Marsha Vinson, affirmed her baptism through the rite of confirmation on Pentecost Sunday. She is pictured with Pastor Laura Gentry above.

Below is her personally written faith statement, which she read to the congregation during worship.

My name is Nicole Vinson. I am 13 years old. I am active in sports such as: volleyball, softball, and track and I love spending time with my family and friends, I am a fun and outgoing person.

I have been involved with Our Savior’s Lutheran Church since my baptism here in 1997. I have done many things here such as: Christmas pageants, children’s choir, Sunday school, and confirmation. Since I have been in confirmation, I have learned to acolyte and assist with Holy Communion. I look forward also to receiving my first Communion today.

I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. This means that God spoke to many people who wrote it down for us. Reading it is helping me to understand God and what he wants for my life. My Spark Bible for kids helps me to understand more about each book. Thank you for giving me this bible. I will continue to read it.

I believe that God the Father created the world and everything in it. I feel like he is someone I can turn to when I am having a bad day and it makes me feel better knowing that he is always listening and won”t judge me no matter what. I feel like I relate to him now so much more by all of the things I have learned about him through the Apostle's Creed and the Lord's Prayer.

I believe that Jesus Christ, God's only Son our Lord, died for us and if he didn’t, we wouldn’t be living the way are today. Because I believe in him, he will take me to heaven one day.

I believe that the Holy Spirit lives within me and makes the story of Jesus known to me. I feel that the Holy Spirit lives in me by teaching me the way of the Gospel and bringing me to church, Sunday school, and confirmation.

I plan to nurture my faith by regularly attending church. I live differently now because I have a better understanding of my savior, Jesus Christ. God has changed my life for the better. I hope that in the future my faith will continue to grow as I read my bible, pray and worship. Thank you for being my church family. You have helped me a lot with my faith.


A reception was held following the service, at which a cake made by Carol Schaefer, was served. Nicole is pictured with her cake above.

This year, the Pentecost story from Acts was illustrated by the presence of six hanging pieces of art, which represent the flames of the Holy Spirit.

We also decorated the sanctuary in red geraniums, as is our custom. Thanks to Gayle Bahlmann for organizing the purchase of these plants and arranging them so beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment